Friday, July 31, 2009

Poetry Appreciation - Solitude by Ella Wheeler Wilcox from Touched By Fire (2005) complied by Jack Hydes

Poetry Appreciation:

Solitude
Laugh, and the world laughs with you;

Weep, and you weep alone;

For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth,

But has trouble enough of its own.

Sing, and the hills will answer;

Sigh, it is lost on the air;

The echoes bound to a joyful sound,

But shrink from voicing care.


Rejoice, and the men will seek you;

Grieve, and they turn and go;

They want full measure of all your pleasure,

But they do not need your woe.

Be glad, and your friends are many;

Be sad, and you lose them all,
-
There are none to decline your nectared wine,
But alone you must drink life's gall.


Feast, and your halls are crowded;

Fast, and the world goes by.

Succeed and give, and it helps you live.

But no man can help you die.

For there is room in the halls of pleasure

For a large and lordly train,

But one by one we must all file on

Through the narrow aisles of pain.


Ella Wheeler Wilcox


It's quite a pessimistic poem and though it does not reflect life in its totality, there is a good measure of realism because ultimately for many people, most of life's pains are endured alone, even if good words of comfort and companionship by the closest. I suppose it's an internal turmoil where one has to grapple with all these discomforts and unhappiness and work these out within - dispel them if possible, or tidy them and stash them away from being hindrances in one's life, so that one can continue to enjoy what I believe to be one of the most precious gifts in this world - life.

I like reading poems and have been doing so for many years, not because I am melancholic but because they reveal many different perspectives of life's moments (if I can understand them) and the poems do all these by painting pictures with words. Just thought I would share a occasional poem here on my blog for my readers to enjoy. ^_^
(Image source: http://showbiz.omy.sg)

超级星光5懈可击 新加坡PK赛:

From my sources, I believe Aijia, Diya and Zhiyang are all leaving for Taiwan this coming Saturday to prepare for the above-mentioned competition.

All the best for their adventure and hope they will do everyone back here in Singapore hometown proud by giving their strongest performances there!

Personal Ramblings:

Have an appointment to go and watch the Vivace! auditions at Marina Square this Saturday.
Have to fulfill a long-outstanding appointment to sing karaoke with The Busy Bee.
Practiced over twenty songs in the past two days to make sure I don't get too rusty with singing.
Need to push through my project so that more research and work are done with minimal procrastination.
Must find a suitable time to fully explore the Treetop Trail since I have promised myself to do so.

Well, that's all that I can think of early in the morning. Time to get my breakfast - most probably bread though. -__-"

No comments: