Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Music Dreamer Singer/Instrumentalist Auditions, Movie Review: Get Smart (2008), Gaming Update: Imperial Ages

Music Dreamer Singer/Instrumentalist Auditions:

The Pouting Apple wants to join the auditions and so I accompanied her to visit music dreamer cafe last Monday night to have a first-hand feel of what it is like to sing live onstage with music accompaniment by instrumentalists. It was Audience' Night so I gave The Pouting Apple as many chances as possible to sing and gain more onstage experience since she had very little opportunities to do so as she is currently working full-time as well.

She was a fast learner and managed to settle down fairly quickly onstage, fielding as many as three songs before we had to head home. The rest of the audience singers came from a wide variety of backgrounds and did reasonably well too. I was amused by the nervousness of a young lad who was accompanied by his aunt and colleagues to try onstage for the first time and he was so nervous that he was holding onto the microphone so tightly. I was also very impressed by a lady who came solo and she was actually English-educated but she loved Mandarin songs so much that she practised hard and sang really well. The regulars at Audience Night were more adventurous, fielding very difficult songs but not really measuring up but those were really fun attempts nevertheless.

An enjoyable night was spent listening and learning. According to what I know, the auditions already has as many as 60 candidates signing up and the organizers are opening up a third day for the latecomers. Looks like it will be an interesting competition to be a singer at Music Dreamer. Maybe I should go take a look the auditions and see what sort of blogging I can do on them.

Movie Review: Get Smart (2008)

The Busy Bee and I met up for dinner and the Get Smart movie last Saturday and found it to be really funny. The movie is about how a desk-bound agent was reluctantly promoted to a field agent after a successful breach of information by an enemy secret organization. Agent 86 (Steve Carell) was paired up with the legendary Agent 99 (Anne Hathaway) to try and stop the evil mastermind. You see all the sparks flying as they quarrelled, fumbled, fought and competed to complete their seemingly-impossible mission.

I absolutely loved the part where both of them were trying to outdo each other on the dance-floor and also the part where Agent 86 tried to use his newly-acquired gadget - the mini-crossbow inside the toilet of an aeroplane with ridiculously hilarious results.

Strongly recommended this movie as a way to laugh away all the work and the stress - just leave your sanity and rationality at home and I am sure you will love the movie as I did.


Gaming Update: Imperial Ages

A few blog posts ago, I was writing about this so here's the update - the game was more exciting than I expected because there was a recent full-scale war between two of the largest alliances of which I was involved in as well. The war lasted an intense 72 hours and was fought fiercely between players hour by hour and I was really hyped up because the opposing alliance did boost a number of really strong and capable players. The result was a victory for my outnumbered alliance and the total dissolution of the other alliance.

I was glad to be of use in that particularly short yet violent military conflict, sending troop reinforcements to friendly villages being sieged by the opposing alliance players, as well as launching full-scale attacks on enemy villages. Below is a screenshot of my capital village - highly-evolved with a seriously strong economy as the backbone for my elite-trained infantrymen and heavy calvary.

As the war has just concluded, there was a consensus of a period of post-war peace amongst the international players and I am currently using this period of time to strengthen my military as well as grow my other smaller-sized villages. It's a war game and you can safely bet the next war will not be far off.

Time for lunch and work. See you folks around! =)

No comments: