Sunday, December 31, 2006

My 2006 New Year Day's Celebrations


30th December 2006 (Sat) Celebration Part I with The Directionless Girl:

This year's 2006 New Year Day's celebrations seem to be a simple occasion with a couple of my very close friends, whom I like to term them as "VIP friends". The first part of the celebrations is a simple Pizza Hut dinner with one of my VIP friends from my university days. In this blog, and to protect her identity, I shall refer her "The Directionless Girl" because she herself said that her new year resolutions are zero because she did not have anything in mind at all. I suppose that is because she said she will have a lot of work on hand in the first few months of the new year.

Anyway, we ordered a couple's meal worth of Hawaiian Supreme Pizza, soups, drinks, sweet n spicy drumlets and honey roasted wings. The Directionless Girl was really funny because she was trying to calculate how much the meal would cost in different order combinations and I had a good laugh over that as I personally just wanted a nice dinner, paying far less attention to the price combinations.

A filling dinner followed, interspaced with our chatting about new year and catching up with each other's happenings in the past couple of months. She looked a little tired but I appreciated her trying to keep her cheeriness since both of us only get to meet up once in every few months due to our hectic schedules.

After a long dinner of about one and a half hours, we window-shopped around Jurong Point and I accompanied her to the NTUC FairPrice so that she could top up her supplies for her office pantry. A really simple but pleasurable outing which I enjoyed on a nice cool Saturday evening.


31th December 2006 (Sun) Celebration Part II with The Changed Man:

The Changed Man, another of my VIP friends, was late for nearly 45 minutes because when I reached City Hall MRT station, he had only just woken up and was making his way drowsily to the MRT station. I ended up browsing the basement of Raffles City whilst waiting for him to come and I found a nice shop with keychains in the designs of wooden animals. They look really cute and I think they will make great gifts for the coming new year.

When the Changed Man arrived, we bought tickets for Death Note 2 at Marina Square and ate lunch at one of the Hongkong Tim Sum restaurants there. I ordered a baked rice with fish fillet but it did not taste as good as NYDC's mushroom ham baked rice. Both of us then proceeded to shop around as we needed new clothes for another common friend's wedding dinner in February. I got myself a nice set of coat and pants worth $209 (original price $418) and the Changed Man bought another set of coat and pants, as well as some long sleeved shorts totalling $300+. I was quite pleased with my purchase because I finally got myself a useful reward for working hard in 2006. The clothes will come in handy for the wedding and any other formal occasions I may attend in 2007.

Death Note 2 was a really interesting movie [Be warned: Movie Spoiler in this paragraph!!!] because Kira managed to use even more complicated means to attempt to outwit L and prevent the capture of both himself and Misa. Many innocent lives were lost in the battle between L, Kira, Misa and Tamaoka (spelling?) and even two of the Gods of Death perished. Kira was finally killed but at a devastating sacrifice of L's life. I found it a little upsetting because at the end of the movie, Kira was mentioned more often but I felt that L deserved even more credit because he died willingly in order to lure Kira to make the final mistake in front of Kira's father. I don't know any real-life cloak-and-dagger detective stories, but it may not be hard to believe that for every criminal captured or killed, many detectives had indeed lost their precious lives in the pursuit of an imperfect justice system...

Celebrations for New Year's Eve come to an end because both of us are pretty appalled by the sheer number of people crowding into the Esplanade and Marina area, presumably for the fireworks during midnight. I am going to rest early tonight and probably miss the entire fireworks display and all the midnight celebrations altogether because I had suggested another more unique (or traditional) form of celebration for the New Year to the Changed Man and I will need all the sleep I can before that can happen smoothly.


01st January 2007 (Sun) Celebration Part III with The Changed Man:

The third part of the celebrations has not happened yet at the time that I am typing this post. I have arranged to watch the very first sunrise of 2007 on one of the eastern coasts of Singapore because I wanted something different from the fireworks, the crowd and the noise. I remembered clearly doing the very same thing during one of my camping trips a number of years back and it was a very memorable experience. Friends and strangers merely gathered on the coast and quiety watched the sunrise - not a single word uttered as each individual made their New Year resolutions silently in their heads facing the first rays of sunshine in the new year. Praying for a good weather and a clear morning sky, I hope to experience this special form of new year celebration, this time not with an entire camp, but with the Changed Man.

Before I turn in for the night, I wish every reader of my blog a Happy New Year and may peace, happiness and wisdom guides your path every day of the year!

We can draw lessons from the
past, but we cannot live in it.

By:

Lyndon B. Johnson, December 13, 196336th president of US (1908 - 1973) (Image Source: http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Death+Note:+The+Last+Name/movie/13811/)
(Quote Source: http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2041.html)

No comments: