Thursday, September 13, 2007

Earthquake Tremors 13 September 2007 8.15am GMT+8hrs

I was happily playing Titan Quest on my desktop computer this morning whilst waiting for the gym to open when I suddenly felt a slow but steady rocking of my chair. For a brief moment, I thought it was my Elementalist sorceress who had cast one too many volcanic orbs into the throngs of monsters in the game. I paused the game for a minute to check if I was hallucinating but the rocking motion continued - Earthquake tremors. =="

I have heard from yesterday's news that poor Indonesia is hit by another powerful earthquake and I sort of expected afterquake tremors for these couple of days. I just did not think it will be reaching my place anytime soon as it is usually not the earthquake tremor-prone areas in Singapore. Looks like I am wrong this time. The earthquakes are getting more and more powerful as time goes by.

A quick foray into the online news agencies and I found the confirmation about the tremor. ChannelnewsAsia reported another Richter scale 7.7 magnitude around 6.49am this morning, so it's possible that the tremor took around a hour plus to reach the bottom of my feet. I wonder if anyone of you out there felt the tremor this morning?

We are very lucky to be in Singapore because the country is spared from many direct natural disasters but the poor Indonesians, especially those in Sumatra, are not so lucky living near the Pacific Ring of Fire. I hope they are not taking it too badly out there. Looking back, it's so silly doing those arms races and wars between the different countries when Nature has repeatedly reminded mankind that nobody has a larger or more formidable army than she has - all she has to do is to drum her fingers and we have earthquakes and tremors. I cannot imagine what will happen to all of us if she decides to pound her fist instead.

Peace to all those who lost their lives these couple of days to the earthquakes. Gratitude to all those who survived and spared from Nature's finger-drumming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for leaving me a comment. Indeed experienced a few times but this time round is a bit scaring. Anyway, saw 1 of ur posts caught my eyes. U went alone to 爱琴海. Mayb next time can invite u to go together. I know a friend performing there on monday but not sure which day, But can chk it out. If u ok, let me know. We can go together. :)