Monday, November 06, 2006

06 November 2006 End of the Day Post


How the day moved on:

I was quite tired this morning so I decided to skip gym and postponed the session to tomorrow instead. I left my cosy bed at around 9.30am and went to have my usual fair of cheese prata and iced milo for breakfast. A parent called in and asked for tuition slots during the school holidays and that took quite some time to settle because I am almost full up from December onwards.

Lunch was a homecooked meal of rice, broccoli and chicken, washed down with a glass of orange juice. It was followed by a short gaming session of Titan Quest where I managed to get my Brigand (a cross-breed between an archer and a rogue) character to the rebirth fountain at the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Progress was comparative better because I had my fair share of knocks and bumps with my first Battlemage (a cross-breed between a warrior and a firemage) character. Thankfully, the Battlemage is finally doing better after I got used to the game dynamics of the high learning curve in Titan Quest.


The afternoon lesson happened to be far more interesting because when I arrived at the student's house, the student was actually locked inside the house without a set of house keys while her mother was somewhere out there in a movie! I had to conduct the first 15 minutes of the lesson with the iron grilles between the student and myself. It was a first in all my years of giving tuition! Fortunately, the student's mother got back home and the lesson resumed in a much more comfortable setting in the study room.

The evening was punctuated with intermittent rain and dinner was a nice hot plate of sliced fish with kuay teow - delicious! I love to eat fish anyday. The lesson in the evening went on without a hitch and here I am at home, typing this post for my newly-borne blog. No particular plans for the night but I hope it will be a peaceful one since the rain has already cooled the night. Maybe I'll try to tackle the Chimera (a boss monster in the Hanging Gardens of Babylon) in the Titan Quest game or practice some songs on the Internet before I turn in for the night.

In a nutshell at the end:

A 27-year-old lady from China added me on Skype last night out of the blue and started chatting with me about Singapore, China and her aspiration to become a teacher. I was commending her on how brave she was to be randomly adding me on Skype and striking a conversation with me even though she has never seen me before. She spoke of how that was possible in the increasingly inter-connected world and I must agree that such unprecedented connectivity has provided the kind of convenience to reach out to people from many parts of the world. How difficult is it to speak to strangers? Perhaps not very - at least as far as I know - a warm smile, a genuine interest to befriend the stranger and a listening ear. The global village may be far closer than we know...

It is the province of knowledge to speak and it
is the privilege of wisdom to listen.

By: Oliver Wendell Holmes US author & physician (1809 - 1894)

(Image source:pinwheel, 10 Jul 2004, Flickr)
(Quote source: http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/29027.html)

No comments: