Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Evening Jog, The Changed Man and The Short Fuse


The Evening Jog:

It's jogging time with my buddy this evening at East Coast Park. I like jogging because it gives me the chance to exercise and yet enjoy the moving scenery at the same time. It's the slow, casual kind of exercise that I craved, not the competitive running kind when I want to unwind because it allows me to unshackle my senses from the humdrum of daily life. The choice was made by my buddy and it will be a first since I have never jogged at East Coast Park on a weekend evening. I hope it will be a nice, refreshing experience for me and, of course, spending time with my buddy who happens to be metamorphosizing into a new man altogether.

(Image Source: Naama, 04 July 2005, Flickr)


-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Changed Man:

My buddy has just ended his relationship with his girlfriend a couple of months ago and has become quite a changed man. He becomes spontaneous with his thoughts, lively with his words and embraces life with a kind of zest that I have never seen before. I have known him for more than 13 years and it makes me wonder what really happened to him during those 6 years of relationship. He told me the relationship became "an empty shell" and he wanted to experience more from life - he takes up a new hobby, exercises much more vigorously and pushes his goals dreams far harder. Maybe he was right, for he has been repressed or stifled by all the "formality" of a relationship and never really got around to enjoy what life has to offer. Of course, the girlfriend whom he chosed to let go off was terribly hurt but I really could not think of a better solution to end the "empty shell" problem that my buddy was speaking of. I don't like to see good people getting hurt either but it's my buddy's own decision and I will stand by what he has done because he is still my buddy.

People say "love sets you free" but from what I have observed so far, perhaps it doesn't have to take a love relationship with another person to do so. Perhaps it's only a shackle of the mind and the heart - set both of these free and one will be soaring through the clouds.


The happiness of a man in this life does not consist
in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.

By:Alfred Lord Tennyson English poet (1809 - 1892)

(Quote Source: http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1588.html)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The Short Fuse:

For the past couple of days, I kept bumping into a very young girl on the MSN which I will nicknamed "Short Fuse" because she herself has admitted that her temperance rivals that of an active volcano and sudden outbursts of anger and frustration can be commonplace when one converses with her. I remembered how she suddenly asked me to shut up on the MSN chat just because she was unhappy with how I ended some of chat replies with "hahaha" but I forgave her because unlike my buddy, "Short Fuse" was deeply shackled by her mind and her heart - possibly because of her past experiences and her very social environment around her. When one is all grown up, one probably has a lot more freedom to choose the avenues to set oneself free but when one is still dependent on the social environment for survival, the avenues are far more limited. "Short Fuse" wishes to grow up quickly and pursue her dreams and hopefully leave behind all her turbulent present state and I can only encourage her to hold on and wish her journey in life to be less painful.

Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you
to grow beyond
what you were.

By: Cherie Carter-Scott, "If Love Is a Game, These Are the Rules"

(Quote Source: http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/25845.html)

No comments: