Sunday, June 03, 2007

Movie Review: Pirates of The Carribean 3 - At World's End


I have watched the Pirates of The Carribean III: At World's End and I thought that the movie was a little below my expectations because it was trying to pack in too many subplots at the same time - the love story between Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner, the father-son relationship between Bootstrap and Will, the mytical relationship between Calypso and Davy Jones, the pirating of Jack Sparrow, the ambition of Lord Beckett and East India Company, the showdown between the Pirate Lords and the New World.

.
However, I particularly liked the ending between Jack, Will, Elizabeth and Jones where Jack sacrificed his hopes of sailing as an immortal pirate to save the dying Will so that Will and Elizabeth can be together (even though only once every ten years). The epic naval battle between The Black Pearl and The Flying Dutchman in the middle of the whirlpool was also very captivating and exciting (as well as funny in some parts) and those two portions somehow made up for the lack of proper accountability for many of the poorly-explained subplots.
.
Admiral Morrington and Sao Feng died rather unglorious deaths and I was actually hoping that Sao Feng (by Chow Yun Fatt) could have been involved in some serious action since he is still an A-lister on the actors' roll. A pity that the movie did not really make good use of his acting.
.
Overall, it was a good enough ending for the main characters of the story, especially funny when Jack was left marooned in a port when Barbarossa stole away the Black Pearl but the latter screamed in frustration because Jack cut out the very valuable navigation map to a prized destination - The Fountain of Youth. The movie ends comically and yet cyclically with Jack rowing in a small one-man boat (just like how he first appeared in the first movie) into the distance.
.
For those who missed the scene after the credits, there was a reunion between Will and Elizabeth ten years since the ending of the showdown between the Pirate Lords and the East India Company Armanda - with an new family member.
.
And guess what I found out who attended the movie's gala premiere in Singapore when I was surfing the Internet for reviews of the movie?
.











For faithful supporters of Teresa and Felicia Chin, I took the photographs of the two of them together from Felicia's personal blog page. I tried asking for permission but Felicia never replied so I took the liberty to put the two photos requested from her inside my blog first. Felicia, if you are unhappy about me doing so, feel free to email me and I will remove the two photos above. If not, I'll just leave them here for the happy viewing by faithful supporters from both your fanbase and Teresa's.

(Image source: http://sg.movies.yahoo.com/Pirates+of+the+Caribbean%3A+At+World's+End/movie/12261/)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi sean,thanx