Friday, December 19, 2008

Campus Superstars Season 3

Well, the top 12 of Campus Superstars Season 3 are finally out in public. As with the previous two seasons of Campus Superstars, I will be providing performance commentaries for their performances because firstly, everyone gets to learn if I can catch and comment on the important things about singing and performances. Secondly, I feel that I can contribute a little here and there by helping the genuine singing talents and enthusiasts to hone whatever they may be lacking. Thirdly, I enjoyed good renditions of songs and good performances - after all, some of them may eventually shape the future of music and entertainment.

I would expect this season's top 12 to be slightly more well-trained than the previous batches because the auditions were closed-doors and the contestants will have more time to hone their skills under the possible tutorship of some of the talented local music instructors, singers and lyricists in Singapore before taking on the official competition stage in January 2009. Their supporters seem more organized with at least nine fan clubs already set up before the official competition and the page hits are impressive. However, given the economic downturn which will kick in in 2009, I would expect to see how MediaCorp Singapore may have to come up with creative ways to encourage votes.


During the past year, I have attended as many singing auditions as I could to observe how contestants fared during their performances and I have also personally increased my own stage experience in the hope that I will be able to do a better job at the upcoming performance commentaries. Being a critic in the past two seasons was not easy because I needed to keep my commentaries as objectively as I can, amidst all the flaming, slandering and accusations. Some of my harshest online opposition just wanted me to shut up and stop exposing their Superstars' weaknesses but for the betterment of the quality of singing and performances, I pressed on and finished what I intended to. Let's hope this new season's worth of supporters can be more civilized and understanding.

(Image Source: Campus Superstars 3 Official Website by MediaCorp Singapore)

No comments: