Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Fallout 3 - The Long Awaited Game For Me

I think I am long overdue for a blog post because I have been recently indulging in a computer game which I have waited for nearly 10 years - Fallout 3.

The game is so interesting and involving for me because it is a sandbox type of game, which means the character gets to do anything he/she pleases, making countless decisions about how to impress the non-playing characters to release quests or to deal with tactical combat situations with serious considerations to factor in stealth, lighting, terrain, weaponry and even the character's alignment (good, neutral or evil).

To show my blog readers who have been faithfully checking my blog for updates all these while, I will try and list down the more interesting things I have done in the game to show why I love the game so much. Over the past couple of weeks, my character (who is competent in the skills of small guns, energy weapons, lock-picking, science and speech) has done the following things:

  • Disarmed an atomic bomb in the middle of a small town
  • Deliberately crippled my character's leg by blowing up on a mine for medical studies
  • Put an animal observatory sensor device in the middle of a nest of monsters
  • Infiltrated a library for the sake of continuing humanity's pursuit of knowledge
  • Installed a satellite dish to extend the broadcast range of a radio station
  • Fought alongside non-playing characters (NPCs) against a gigantic monster
  • Saved some children from captivity against some slavers' encampment
  • Negotiated a mutually beneficial deal between a small settlement and a group of vampires
  • Stolen the weapon from a sniper in a tall building in the middle of a mine-strewn town
  • Drowned more than five times attempting to swim underwater to an aircraft carrier
  • Activated some complex mechanical device to try and help jump-start a science experiment
  • Defeated a sinister enemy by discovering a secret way to escape from virtual reality world
  • Lead my character to break out from a massive enemy fortress full of robots and soldiers
  • Rescued a group of mercenaries besieged and trapped at the rooftop of a hotel
  • Helped to contribute to the maintenance of a water processing plant by collecting parts
  • Sold some drug components to a drug dealer for the much needed bottle caps (money)
  • Neutralized some mutated ant nest due to a miscalculation by a biologist
  • Allowed an escaped android to live his new lease of life by lying to his pursuer-cum-creator
  • Battled some Super-Mutant fortresses and saved some hostages from the wasteland
  • Collected pre-war books and sold them to a scholar for the much needed bottle caps
  • Trying to find out the industrial formula for Nuka-cola (a drink in the wasteland)
  • Trying to find out what the satellite towers in the wasteland does
  • Trying to retrieve a 200-year-old violin for an old lady who broadcasts her music on the radio
Sounds fun? I have not even discovered more than twenty other locations on the wasteland map so there could be other crazy things that I might have to find my character doing. Here are some screenshots taken during the game. I will upload more of them to share with you readers in the near future.

Sometimes, while waiting for the shops to open for business so that my character can buy and sell things, my character would enjoy the beautiful sunrises in the game. This one was taken outside Craterside Supply Store in the earlier starting towns of Megaton.
This was taken in the night time at the front porch of Washington Building after my character took out a group of Enclave soldiers, an Enclave officer and a deadly beast known as a Deathclaw. The weapon my character was holding was a Plasma Rifle and the craft in front of my character was some sort of flying craft - I wished my character could pilot it but my character could not do so. Maybe next time?
This was taken in the evening time when my character was exiting from an important city called Rivet City (which was actually a half-broken-off aircraft carrier). My character was facing the ruins of Washington DC and it was a scary trip because the enemies could be around the very next piece of debris, raking my character with a rocket or machine-gun fire.
This was my character dressed in a Reinforced 101 Vault suit with a motorcycle helmet talking to a person called Tenpenny. Tenpenny is a rich man with a richly-lavished tower and my character was trying to negotiate to see if he could allow another group to live in his tower. I have not made a decision to this quest yet - should my character kill Tenpenny and the existing residents so that the new group could move in or should I just kill off the new group and collect Tenpenny's reward instead?
This was the view taken from Tenpenny's tower and yes, my character was literally walking over all those rock outcroppings, ruined buildings and sand-dunes before my character could reach the tower, carefully fighting and avoiding terrible beasts and raiders who would not hesitate to tear my character to shreds.

Well, that is most active activity I am currently engaging in right now. I will update again on this game as well as any other interesting happenings to me as soon as I can. Time for dinner - an Italian BMT sandwich from Subway. Yummy~~~ ^__^

No comments: