Monday, December 22, 2008

Movie Review: Yes Man (2008)



I finally managed to catch Yes Man today and it's a really interesting movie because the movie protagonist, Carl Allen (Jim Carrey), was quite a nay-sayer, opting out of life's many opportunities until he deeply disappointed his best friend by excusing himself out of his best friend's engagement party. Shaken by the terrible possibility of dying alone and friendless, Carl attended a motivational seminar which turned him into a Yes Man - someone who supposedly have to say "yes" to any opportunity that comes along in his life.

What follows were a series of astounding encounters where Carl drove the homeless, emptied his wallet, risked his neck on a scooter, met the girl of his dreams, got into a hopelessly drunken brawl, got sexually relieved by his elderly woman neighbour, got promoted, did a bunjee jump off a bridge, met an entire new group of friends, saved some suicidal person with a song on a guitar, flew his own plane, learned Korean, got arrested by intelligence operatives.

The second half of the movie was sadly less exciting because the movie concentrated on him trying to convince the girl of his life that he was not saying "yes" to her because of the motivational seminar but because he truly meant "yes" in his heart.

All in all, I felt that the movie was still a very amusing movie which preached a very simple message - are people saying no more often than they should? Perhaps people have been missing out on engaging life within their possible means by opting out rather than jumping in. Personally, I am influenced by the movie to some extent and I thought I should learn to say yes more often because life's possibilities are endless and life's changes may not necessarily be negative.

So here I go - Yes! Although I cannot please everyone, I will do what I can to engage life at its fullest. I may fall flat on my face but I am not flat in my spirits.

What are you waiting for? Say "Yes" and go watch the movie yourself! Hahaha!

No comments: