Saturday, January 27, 2007

27 January 2007 End of the Day Post


Trial Gym Session at True Fitness:

I received an invitation and a free two weeks' worth of VIP pass to trial the facilities at True Fitness at Raffles Place on Friday and I decide to pop over and have a look to see what this new 3 month old fitness club has to offer.

I got over there at around 12.30pm and a young fitness consultant, Elle (IMO, quite an attractive-looking girl with big sparkling eyes), gave me a tour of the facilities and even talked quite extensively about the types of yoga classes they have in the club, hoping for me to join them. Throughout the whole thing, she was nice, polite and helpful with my enquiries and I was pretty pleased with her service (and it's not because she was better-looking than the rest of the consultants).


After the 40-minute talk and tour, I thanked Elle for her help and ventured out to try out the gym equipment in True Fitness. The things that I liked about the gym - The service is polite and wonderful, the grips on the free weights are a perfect fit and the music is not too loud for my ears. However, the things that I don't like about it are that the bench press is too narrow for my shoulders, the machines have too little padding for the impact and there isn't a proper place to put the towels when I am doing the free weights, and the cost of joining it is a tad too high even for most of the professional fitness clubs in Singapore - a whopping $850+ (joining fee + processing fee + 1 monthly fee).

My verdict - Not worth the value. My current neighbourhood gym provides older (even rusty) but more reliable gym equipment and weights and even though there aren't any towel services, personal trainers or even pleasant-looking fitness consultants around. Moreover, the environment at my current gym is still much more suitable for my style of training - full concentration, no-distractions, no-nonsense free weights training. I guess I'll will have to pass poor Elle the bad news that I don't favour True Fitness' gym facilities at this point of time.


Leisure Reading at Ngee Ann City's Coffee Bean:

I am pretty pleased to do something today which I had not done for a long time - a good magazine read at Coffee Bean on a nice Saturday afternoon with iced mocha and a slice of tiramisu cake. After the trial gym session at True Fitness, I made my way to Orchard MRT and had a quick lunch at Yoshinoya Japanese fastfood restaurant and bumped into one of my secondary school tuition student. She was with her friends so I ate my beef with vegetables alone and moved off to the Orchard Library to get some magazines.

I only managed to find an issue of National Geographic so I lugged it off to the Coffee Bean at Takashimaya Shopping Centre and thankfully found a single-seater even though the place is extremely full on a weekend Saturday. I ordered a nice small iced mocha and a slice of tiramisu cake and sat down for a full 1.5 hours there, slowly sipping my mocha and savouring my cake while reading about nanotechnology, Hutterites in America and the pelican at a nice, leisurely pace. Of course, I had to see many disappointed people walking past me because they could not secure any seats in the Coffee Bean outlet there. Lucky me. =P

Birthday Celebrations Part III:

One of my secondary school student insisted on celebrating my birthday today so I went to meet him at Cineleisure Orchard because he wanted dinner and a movie but we could not find a nice movie at around 6.30pm so I suggested a dinner at Pastamania until we decided what to do with the rest of the evening.

After a filling meal of pasta and pizza, both of us made our way to the K-box (again) at Cineleisure Orchard because I can't think of anything else to do since he is still underaged for many nightlife activities in Orchard. We took three fun and entertaining hours of singing off the evening time. It was, to my surprise, the first ever KTV visit by the student and he was happily experimenting with the songs over there even though his Mandarin is not very good. Seeing how enthusiastic he was, I gave him some pointers in holding the microphone and taught him how to breathe properly while singing the Mandarin songs he had always liked.

At around 10.30pm, I opted to stop singing even though he was still pretty high about continuing because I have morning lessons to cover on Sunday so we headed home. Overall, it was a good Saturday and I hope the coming week will be just as nice. Got to go bathe and sleep now. Take care, everyone!

(Image source: Al-Fassam, 7 Feb 2006, Flickr)

No comments: