Thursday, August 30, 2007

Visit at Music Dreamer Cafe and Li Fei Hui in Concert

Visit at Music Dreamer Cafe on 29 August 2007 Wednesday:

I noticed that Geraldine See of Campus Superstar Season 1 was singing on that night, which I happened to be free so I decided to pop over and have a look myself. I know Khim Ng sings at the Ark Lounge so I may pop over and see her sing when I am free too. Moreover, I needed to see more people singing live so I can improve on my singing skills too. Gaining experience during k-boxing sessions will not be sufficient if I am to raise the bar for myself - observation of others singing live is also needed so off I went to Music Dreamer Cafe at around 7.30pm.

The crowd was sparse that night - probably because it was a midweek evening and most of the students are still struggling with their examinations. The location of the cafe was not exactly ideal either and most people at the new Marina Square will miss it because it is actually located at the overhead linkway to Millenia Walk (near the Burger King at Millenia Walk). Nevertheless, there was still a few tables of people with a bunch of girls celebrating some belated birthdays amongst themselves.

Geraldine See was partnered with a guitarist singer, Youbin and an organ player, Weibin that night and did her best to entertain the audience with about 6 songs on her own. Although she looked not completely comfortable onstage yet (probably she just joined them recently), Geraldine made a brave attempt to overcome her fear of singing Ji De By Zhang Hui Mei and another brave impromptu attempt at singing Bu Neng Shou De Mi Mi by Jay Chou.

After Geraldine's group session ended around 9pm, I was pleasantly surprised again because my favourite singers happened to sing that night - Junxin, the organ player, Zhongwei, one of the top male vocalist there, and Yiling, one of the top female vocalists there (who made a guest appearance that night because Zhongwei was still recovering from a bad bout of flu and sore throat). The trio serenaded all the way until 10.20pm before I headed home.

For those who have never heard of the place, it would be one of those places that I would recommend you to visit. Not many places in Singapore offer live performances of contemporary Mandarin pop songs at a relaxed and comfortable setting (the waiters were polite and attentive too) and although there is a rotation of vocalists, and musicians every night, most of them have a measurable standard of performance, which makes it value for money. Listen and learn - something that I preach, and that night, I did exactly that, bringing home new songs to learn (which I will add on the blog's main playlist, new techniques to practise on (which I will quietly practise at home).


News for Singing Enthusiasts -
Late Nite @ Esplanade Li Fei Hui in Concert
黎沸挥关于爱情音乐会:


I don't know Li Fei Hui in person and I am very sure he has not met me before either but I suppose somewhere along the line - we share a similiarity in promoting music and singing in Singapore so when I came across news about his mini-concert, I think it's right for me to inform readers of my blog who are interested in listening to him and his disciples sing some very good songs to know about the event.

Details are inside the URL link so feel free to browse and see if you want to go. Tickets are selling fast though if you hesitate too long. Most unfortunately, I have work which clashed with the concert so I won't be able to go but do tag and tell me how it went if anyone of you is going! =)

Have a good weekend ahead everyone! =D

No comments: