Sunday, December 02, 2007

961130 超級星光大道:1 對 1 PK 賽 林健輝 VS 曾沛慈 (Part II)

LK, a singing enthusiast, as well as a music student of a school, send me a second group of videos of a Taiwanese singing competition and lo and behold, it's the same pair of competitors again! As with my previous related post, why don't all of you singing enthusiasts and readers view their performances before reading what I have to say about their singing of the four songs? Enjoy!











林健輝's My Way was excellently sung - why do I say that? This song is around ever since my father's time and he had played the song and sung the song for countless times so I actually grew up with this song. The song is very difficult to sing live and emote at the same time but 林健輝 managed to secure the song with equally good techniques and very composed emoting. He definitely deserved the 21 points. The only fault I find in his rendition of that song is that he seemed to prematurely end some of the lines when he could have stretched them out a second more, giving the song the lushness needed to further move the audience. But as I said, it is a very challenging song and I am most impressed with his courage.

曾沛慈's first song by Tanya Chua managed to touch the essence of the song, as she correctly sung what was necessary to bring out the feel behind the lyrics of the song - the sense of helplessness portrayed by the song persona. It seemed to me that she has complete understanding of how this song should feel and that is one major plus in my assessment of her performance of this song. The only two problems that I find in 曾沛慈's singing are that her pained expression is overly-done and she tends to breathe into the microphone, which sort of affected the audio smoothness of her song.

My personal viewpoint of their first round of performances - 林健輝 should be the winner whilst 曾沛慈 should be scoring around 20. 林健輝 improved on his emoting and expression of his performance whilst 曾沛慈 had shown less improvement in her overall skills of performance.

For the second round of their performances, I fully concur with one of the judges's comments that neither of them sung as well as their first round of singing because both of them are like so nervous and sung off-beat.

I was particularly disappointed by 林健輝's selection of his second song because it has little room to display any further strengths that he may have and he was not really rushing his song, seemingly investing much less emotions in his second song altogether. I really disliked that lapse of concentration in his second round.

曾沛慈 did not fare any better than her male counterpart either - she sang the song way too slowly and messed up the supposedly light feel of the song. Her breathing into the microphone and her overly-pained expression again amplified her weaknesses in her second song.

My personal viewpoint of their second round of performances - Draw. Both of them should be scoring no higher than a 17 point because they messed up their songs and did not show the necessary intensity to engage their songs and bring them forward to the listeners and audience.

Well, that is all for my analysis of their performances. I know there are strong supporters for both of the competitors but that is how I feel for their performances this time round. May the best wins!

No comments: