Monday, January 07, 2008

Movie Review: I Am Legend, Gaming Now: Rome Total War, Poetry Appreciation: The Journey

Alright, my apologies for not blogging over the weekend because I am still busying coordinating my work schedule as well as handling some new year administration with the banks and stuff.

Anyway, I managed to squeeze some time out to do something not work-related so I'll put them here for your entertainment.

Movie Review: I Am Legend
I caught this movie alone this morning because sometimes, I like watching movies alone, especially movies like these type where the appreciation comes from enjoying it quietly.
.
For those looking for over-the-top action with zombies, there is actually very little because this movie revolves around the protagonist, Dr. Robert Neville who takes it upon himself to try and find a cure for a mutated strain of cancer cure that is turning almost everyone in New York City into cannabalistic zombies.
.
I really don't think the movie is about the zombies but more of the struggle of how Dr. Neville manages his loneliness in the dangerous, quarantined city, seeking survivors and the cure necessary to save Mankind. Although I was disappointed with the action, I loved the acting by Will Smith and his seemingly doomed plight finally got a ray of hope when he discovered two survivors who, like him, are immune to the zombie virus.
.
It is more the contestation of feelings and the discipline behind Dr. Neville that moved me to like the movie enough although I would prefer a little more action like Resident Evil. I would like to imagine Will Smith in THAT movie together with the female lead actress. Now, that would have been much more cooler.
.
Gaming Now: Rome: Total War
.
Yes, it's an old game but I still love it as much since I replayed it two weeks ago and it is a good switch from the Facebook application - Warbook. The latter took up too much time and I began to find it pale in comparision with Rome: Total War because the CD game has much more to offer. I am only playing it at the easy difficult level and there is already much challenge in planning my Juli Roman armies across the Sahara regions, battling rival factions, the Brutii and the Scipili.
.
The game fits my lifestyle better because the management phase is turn-based so I can take all my time to decide my moves across the maps and my construction queues for my cities. The downside is that the combat phase is real-time (even though I can pause the battle), and each battle can take up to half an hour. Yes, I play all the battles myself because I hate losing more soldiers than it is necessary to complete my objective. Will post screenshots or photos of the game as soon as I find more time.
.
Poetry Appreciation: The Journey (By Mary Oliver)
.
Wait, don't skip this part because poems are not as scary as you think. Yes, I study poetry for my English Literature lessons as well as for my own leisure. Now, just don't think too much and read the following poem for the fun and enjoyment of it.
.
One day you finally knew
what you had to do, and began,
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice -
though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles.
"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.
But you didn't stop.
You knew what you had to do,
though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy
was terrible.
It was already late
enough, and a wild night,
and the road is full of fallen
branches and stones.
But little by little,
as you left their voices behind,
the stars began to burn
through the sheets of clouds,
and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own,
that kept you company
as you strode deeper and deeper
into the world,
determined to do
the only thing you could do -
determined to save
the only life that you could save.
.
Okay, gtg to the gym now. I have to tidy up my room later too for Chinese New Year Spring Cleaning. Take care everyone! =)

No comments: