Tuesday, November 27, 2007

961123 超級星光大道 林健輝 VS 曾沛慈

LK, a singing enthusiast, sent me the following Youtube videos, asking me to comment on their performance and judge which is the better singer.

I reserve my comments until the end of this blog post and before I say anything, why don't all you singing enthusiasts reading my blog view their performances first before seeing what I have to say about the two of them?





林健輝 is a very stable singer indeed. All his techniques are well-executed and he exudes great confidence in whatever songs he is singing. However, some of his endnotes sounded abrupt or uncompleted and I did noticed how during his Lee Hom song, his falsetto was not completely smooth and flexible enough to bring out the flavour behind that song.

曾沛慈 is very good in emoting her songs. She knows when to inject force at the appropriate notes to make the songs her own. However, some of her notes are weak and sounded hoarse and like 林健輝, she could not complete some of her endnotes properly. Her facial expressions were also overly-pained and enjoyment of her performances consequently dropped.

After intently listening to their performances, my personal choice for the winner is 曾沛慈.

The reasons are because although she cannot match up to the vocal lushness of Sandy Lam or the R&B feel of Landy Wen, she manages to inject her own style and emotions into those two songs. 林健輝, on the other hand, though was great in his techniques, lacked the kind of emoting necessary to touch me when I was listening to his singing. He seems to intently mirror the original singers' styles, and this is very evident in his Westlife song. I quote from 张宇's comment: "扣人心弦”is the missing element in 林健輝's singing.

I saw all the comments from the above three videos. No doubt that techniques are a big big plus in such competitions, but packaging and singer's sensitivity to the songs and the ability to reach out to the listeners using the songs are important determiners to par excellent performances too.

That is my personal choice and analysis. Hope everyone enjoys their performances and feel free to voice your opinions as well. Speak your mind. =)

No comments: