Thursday, July 19, 2007

Campus Superstars 2 Semi Finals 1 Song List

F1 卢慷倚:勾勾手 原唱者:郭美美

This song is a simple ballad with a lot of lyrical content, which means that the performer will have to be able to "paint" the contents of the song into the minds of the listeners. The clear highnotes of the song are a main feature of the chorus. There is only one complaint with this song - the song tends to get a tad boring when it repeats itself and there seems very little within the song to wow the audience to win votes so I will be looking forward to see how Agnes covers the blandness within the song with stage movements, gesticulation or audience interaction.

F2 谢慧娴:风铃 原唱者:蔡淳佳

I think Huixian picked a suitable song for her semi-finals 1 round because firstly, this is not an Angela Chang's song and secondly, it's a more matured ballad, which will be a freshing difference from her usual "cute" stage image. Lyrically, the song is not difficult to manage but there are certain pauses, highnotes and lownotes which can be opportunities for the performer to utilize to showcase her singing capabilities. As with most Joi Chua's songs, clarity of notes, as well as stability of endnotes will be important if one is to excel in this beautiful ballad and I will be looking forward to see how Huixian suppress her high voice range to give the song a matured feel.

F3 许政宁:一千年以后 原唱者:林俊杰

If I remembered correctly, this should be the second time Zhengning picked a song from a male singer and I am very curious as to why she picked an even more difficult song this time round. Perhaps she has made big leaps in her singing capabilities and I'll be looking forward to see how she can impress me with her vocals more than her stage movements. The song is sung with a special technique that "sticks" the lyrics together and the endnotes will be challenging to grasp because the song flows fairly quickly from verse to verse. The song's buildup to the chorus is also very subtle and as with all JJ Lin's songs, removing the original singer's shadow in the song will be another challenge especially since the song was written especially for JJ Lin's vocal range.

F4 阮诗凯:触摸 原唱者: 陈伟联

I am very surprised that Keely picked this song (not that fact that it is sung by one of the best male Superstar singers in Singapore). Without a doubt, this is a very difficult song to sing not just because the performer needs excellent control in breath, but also the fact that the variation of emotions within the song makes it very challenging to emote convincingly. The buildup to the chorus must be managed well and the performer must ration her breathing properly because certain parts of the songs have little transition time and hence must avoid running out of breath. I will be looking forward to see how Keely can bring an impressive song across to the song.

F5 张芮恩:爱无力 原唱者:潘嘉丽

Hmm...One song by Weilian and one song by Kelly. Maybe Joanna deliberated her song choice with Keely. Whatever the case, the ballad by Kelly is easier to manage in terms technical skills but harder to emote than Weilian's song because the lyrics in this song has much more subtlety and thus become harder to express, especially the chorus where the song persona loses herself into the search to recover memories of her love. Given my familiarity with this song as it is a favourite song of one of my VIP friends, The Directionless Girl (who manages to nail the song), I will be looking forward to see how Joanna can match what I have heard so far.



Reply To Tags:

<BB>: You can watch it on MOBTV...not v expensive, dear.
Sean Ho: I am a poor farmer's son. Where got money to buy MOBTV? Haha...

<Gaara/Sean>: u watched harry potter yet??i watched it...is nice 4 me personally...
Sean Ho: Haven't watched it yet. Most likely will be next Monday when movie tickets are the cheapest. =P

<conman>: hi sean, dont watch MOBTV, i think u and i ganna conned before liao
Sean Ho: Conned? I don't know. It's just that I am trying to control my expenses here. Life is tough after 7% GST you know.

<LJ>: hhihi backk againn ! you took so much effort to make this blog. jiayouu!
Sean Ho: Thanks for your compliments on my blog. Nice chatting with you. =)

<jo-josh's sis>: HEY you better remember ok! next wed!! you have one week to prepare bwahahahaha(: i wont forget(:
Sean Ho: I won't. I probably pick one song from the playlist above for it ba. =P

<BB>: Hey Sean, I wasn't mean. Just that sometimes, you have to be more frank because kids these days are just too 'big head' and not even remotely aware they are way below Teresa's commitment. Elaine obviously gave up on that stage. Teresa never once gave up.
Sean Ho: I haven't watched the revival round so I don't dare to comment on their performances yet. Big Head? I suppose youths have their own ways of asserting themselves so I won't want to compare the CSS 2 contestants with Teresa about commitment. But the bottomline remains: Respect the audience, the stage and oneself. =)

<BB>: I posted the SF songlist on the blog. Huixian is singing 风铃 By 蔡淳佳
Sean Ho: Yep. Thanks. I got the songlist already and have prepared the above blog post as my usual procedure for this blog series on CSS 2.

<curious>: hey sean im jus curious if you've any musical background or u're a singer or something like that...coz ur comments look professional =D
Sean Ho: I do accumulate some music and singing experience and exposure here and there but I am not any singer from any recording labels in the industry. Thanks for your compliments on my comments anyway. Hope to see you around the tagboard! =)

<conman/BB>: I agree. Sad to say, none of css2 female contestants can match teresa.
Sean Ho: Honestly speaking, they are still not up to Teresa's standards and skills in singing. Perhaps they will improve in the future and give us better performances. I am looking forward to the next CSS 2 round!

No comments: