Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Facebook Game: Warbook, Book Review: Tuesdays With Morrie, Song Recommendation: 《旋转门》 By 苏慧伦, Tarcy

Facebook Game: Warbook
Warbook is one of the many application games in Facebook and both The Changed Man and I, being ardent gaming fans of strategy games, plunged in and tried our hands at the game. The verdict: It was far more challenging than it looked and both of us are still struggling to consolidate our kingdoms.

The game itself revolves around the player trying to expand his/her kingdom (measured by acres of land) and expanding it through exploration (which costs money) or conquest (which costs troops). The kingdom generates income hourly, based on the amount of land, the number of mines and the number of trade agreements one has at the end of each hour.

The amount of land a player has can be further used to build mines (which generate gold), forts (which increases physical defense of kingdoms), training grounds (which increases physical attacks of troops), barracks (which reduces training costs of troops), amplifiers (which increases magical attacks of magic-using players), and barriers (which increases magical defense of kingdoms).

The available troops are normal soldiers (which are pretty useless unless you have them in the millions), knights (primary attack troops), pikemen (primary defense troops) and elites (versatile but expensive troops).

What both The Changed Man and myself have difficulty in is defending our kingdoms because there are so many powerful players with tens of thousands of elite troops and every time they invade our small, fledging kingdoms, they kill valuable troops, take away valuable gold and land, thus weakening the overall strength of our kingdoms. The Changed Man and myself have just suffered another round of losses in our absence (there is no manual control of the battles themselves as the game automatically runs and calculates battles around the clock 24/7). He lost around 2000 acres of land and I lost about 500 acres and 500 elite soldiers.

Haiz..I had expected my army to successfully repel any attacks since I had built quite alot of forts but I supposed I had underestimated the tenacity of those powerful players. Oh well, war is hell and there is no quarters given or taken between any non-friendly players.

I am still an experienced enough strategy gamer so I am not about to let today's horrific losses daunt me. I'll just go busy myself with other things until the next hour's income is inside my kingdom coffers and I'll spend every single coin inside building up my elite army. Hopefully, it will be sizable enough to help my young kingdom survive until the next morning. There are, of course, big sharks out in Warbook but I just hope I can somehow evade under their invasion radars. Wish me luck!

Book Review: Tuesdays With Morrie By Mitch Albom

I was reading this book called "Tuesdays With Morrie" and I find the book worth mentioning in my blog because it covers quite some pressing issues about the human world today.

The following are my most favorite extracts from the book. See if you can grasp whatever wisdom between the lines of those extracts?

"Wherever I went in my life, I met people wanting to gobble up something new. Gobble up a new car. Gobble up a new piece of property. Gobble up the latest toy. And then they wanted to tell you about it. "Guess what I got? Guess what I got?" You know how I always interpreted that? These people are so hungry for love that they were acepting substitutes. They were embracing material things and expcting a short of hug back. But it never works. You can't substitute material things for love or for gentleness or for tenderness or for a sense of comradeship." - pg 125

"Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." - pg 127


Song Recommendation:《旋转门》 By 苏慧伦, Tarcy

I always liked Tarcy's songs. Although she does not exactly have the best singing amongst all the female singers but her songs are always imbued with a sense of beauty and innocence that rings so clearly and differentiates her from most of the songs. The following is one of her latest songs but I feel that it is quite well-written. The tune is a bit bland but it's still nice anyway.

某个早晨感觉冷风卷起灰尘
心刚学会疼第一道伤特别深
船头的灯复制不了熟悉的体温

还有什么人会有什么人

那一个人随附我心跳会沸腾
坚定的口吻点亮我热切眼神
可惜我们最终随着誓言一转身
开始害怕天变冷在爱里受困

这分钟命运的旋转门 进来的是否是住下的人
都搁置幸福可不可能 渴望时间停顿
下分钟谁推动旋转门 是路过还是以恋人的身份
我不忘有时候真爱需要等一等

醒来的人这些年是同个灵魂
睡得不安稳只为一个开门声
因为我们如果爱的用力和认真
上天因此会逼真更接近永恒

这分钟命运的旋转门 进来的是否是住下的人
都搁置幸福可不可能 渴望时间停顿
下分钟谁推动旋转门 是路过还是以恋人的身份
我不忘有时候真爱需要等一等

这分钟命运的旋转门 进来的是否是住下的人
都搁置幸福可不可能 渴望时间停顿
下分钟谁推动旋转门 是路过还是以恋人的身份
我不忘有时候真爱需要等一等

No comments: